Improved concentration on proactive and preventive health care in the dairy herd has also increased the demands on vets. Hoofcare is rightly regarded as more of a priority and techniques are becoming ever more refined.
It’s with this in mind that Mendip Vets offer a practical and interactive one day course on hoof trimming techniques and minor surgical procedures on the foot. The course is specifically geared for veterinary professionals and is farm and classroom based.
The organisers’ combined hoofcare experience will help you broaden your knowledge from the 5-step technique to the White Line Atlas method. The surgical section of the course includes practice on cadaver feet for intravenous regional anaesthesia, nerve blocks, debriding lesions, flushing of the joint and how and when to resort to digit amputation. The course involves a maximum of 2 delegates.
Topics to be covered:
- Digit Surgery Group
- Anatomy and Physiology of the cow’s foot
- IVRA & nerve blocks
- Debriding lesions, including toe necrosis
- Digit amputation and disarticulation
- Hoofcare group
- Hoof-trimming techniques on healthy and lame feet
- Block application
- Applying a bandage
- Knife sharpening
- Review the anatomy of the bovine digit
- Understand the principles of minor surgery of the cow’s foot
- Review the principles of the 5-step and White Line Atlas techniques
- Practice foot trimming on farm
We cover the whole of the UK, Ireland and rest of Europe, with venues near you. Your course will be delivered by not simply a teacher, but by a Masterclass Trainer who has nearly 30 years’ experience as a veterinary clinician and practices all disciplines of farm animal medicine.