An animal that has had a previous bad experience will maintain these associations for the future. Best handling techniques will take this into account.
A cycle of increasing stress can be altered for both human and animals, if animal handling is applied correctly.
Well-designed facilities, that are based on principles of appropriate animal handling will provide a means of controlling animals while allowing easy and safe access.
Learn to look for early warning signs of deteriorating performance.
When you have completed the course, you’ll be able to:
- Overview of Welfare Principles: RSPCA Five Freedoms and the CowSignals Diamond.
- For those interested in cattle, familiarise with the CowSignals Diamond, that includes water supply, light provision, air circulation, areas of rest, space allocation and feed appraisal.
- Understanding Animal Behaviour: Instinctive or Acquired (Pavlov’s Reflex). Communication with each other and the environment. Non-verbal communication in the herd or the flock. Importance of vision in cattle, sheep and goats and its limitations. Sense of “homeland” in their pens and pastures.
- Animal Handling: Flight Zone and the Point of Balance.
- Animal Handling: Less shouting, sticks, backing gates and more clever aids, like the paddle!
- Animal Handling: Overview of design of efficient handling facilities.
- Animal Handling: Safety features, such as the pass-through openings.
- Animal Handling: When to pursue further and when to apply the cooling-off time.
- Productivity and Stress: The example of Oxytocin in milking cattle. TB Testing and Sheep Dipping, Less Haste more Speed. Effects on meat quality. Early warning signs of deteriorating productivity performance.
- Injury to animals and stock-person and how they can be prevented.
- Team building through approaching animal handling as a whole.
LANTRA certification for this course is available should you choose it. LANTRA as the awarding body, are recognised by Ofqual, SQA and Qualification Wales.
We cover the whole of the UK and Ireland, with venues near you. We work around you to find the most suitable course dates.
Your course will be delivered by not simply a teacher, but by a Masterclass Trainer who has nearly 30 years’ experience as a vet, foot trimmer and a CowSignals Master trainer.
TestimonialsJames Kennedy, CVS Farm Animal Director James Kennedy:
“Sotirios provided an excellent learning experience for our farm new graduate program. His presentation was well thought out and challenging for the delegates. His delivery style is high energy and stimulates interaction, his remarkable ability to remember everyone's name when asking questions keeps everyone concentrating!”