If you are looking to improve your herds-person skills and add cattle DIY artificial insemination to your repertoire, our course will help you get there safely and efficiently. Genetic improvement of a cattle herd can have profound benefits on productivity, welfare and farm income. Being able to apply artificial insemination on your own cattle can help you save time and money, as well as speed up your herd’s genetic improvement.
Our highly experienced instructors will help you master the skills needed to practice artificial insemination in cattle safely and with confidence. You shall gain vital experience dealing with inseminating first time heifers to adult cows. New inseminators will gain the basic skills required to apply the technique safely and efficiently.
Some of the many areas covered by our course are:
- The Advantages and Disadvantages of AI
- The Anatomy of the Cow’s Reproductive Tract and Pelvis
- Methods of Heat Detection and the Correct Time for Insemination
- The Principles and Practice of Hygiene, and the Prevention of the Spread of Disease
- Management and Handling for Insemination
- Storing and Handling Semen
- Passage of the catheter through the cervix and Insemination Technique
- Practical Difficulties and the Response to them
The course’s key fundamentals will also cover handling and storing semen, signs of oestrus, heat detection methods, evaluating your own performance, anatomy and function of the bovine reproductive track, contra-indications to AI, legislation, welfare and biosecurity.
On behalf of LANTRA and APHA, we shall award the DIY AI license to delegates who demonstrated competence in the technique, through passing written and a practical exam.
Sotirios has over 20 years’ experience as a vet and foot trimmer. He is a LANTRA Freelance Instructor, City & Guilds NPTC Assessor and CowSignals Master Trainer.